Dimitra Kouzi is a journalist, producer, and filmmaker. She works Europe-wide, in documentary consulting, training, and guidance, designing communication strategies and audience development, focusing on dramaturgy, innovative distribution solutions, press and marketing strategies for feature films and series. Beyond consulting she is a frequent speaker, moderator, jury member. Since 2015 she is one of the tutors at the Balkan Documentary Centre and Rough Cut Boutique (2019).
In 2015 she founded Kouzi Productions and graduated from EURODOC. She has been collaborating with filmmakers, festivals and distributors, including Thessaloniki Documentary Festival, IDFA, Prix Europa, Vision du Reel, Institute of Documentary Film Prague, CineDoc Greece (co-orgnaniser) and KineDok. In 2016 she founded KinderDocs festival for young audiences at the Benaki Museum in Athens and MOMus Contemporary Art Μuseum in Thessaloniki, Greece.
She holds a Master’s degree in communications from Ludwig Maximillians University in Munich, with additional studies in photography. With over 20 years of experience in journalism and more than 12 years in the international documentary sector, she has a built an extensive network in all areas of the doc industry, developing her skills and expertise as a journalist and TV host in magazines, newspapers, and television in Greece (ERT, 2001–13) and Germany (ZDF, Deutsche Welle, Arte) as a commissioner for ERT Digital selecting the documentary program for the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation’s digital channels.
Audience development and communication strategy (selection):
- La Chana, Lucija Stojevic: Audience Developer for the premiere at IDFA – Winner IDFA Audience Award 2016
- Nowhere to Hide, dir. Zaradasht Ahmed: Audience Developer for the premiere at IDFA –Winner Best Feature-length Documentary IDFA 2016
- Communion, dir. Anna Zamecka: Communication strategist for EFA Awards – Winner EFA Best Documentary 2017
- Reconciliation, dir Marija Zidar: fine cut consulting and communication strategy, CPH:DOX 2021 Next Wave
- Radiograph of a Family Firouzeh Khosrovani: Audience Developer for the premiere at IDFA – WinnerBest Feature-length Documentary IDFA 2021
- Love with Obstacles, The history of the relation between Greeks and Germans, 2019, Germany, Co-author (commissioned by ARTE/NDR)
- Good Morning Mr Fotis, 2020, 70ʹ, Greece, Producer/Director: Docs in Progress Award, 2019; and Youth Award at the Thessaloniki Documentary Festival 2020
- Passage to Europe, 2021, 48’, Greece, Producer/Director, 2021 San Francisco Greek Film Festival Jury Award winner for Best Documentary, Los Angeles Greek Film Festival, Jury Special Mention Documentary 2021